Once the decision for euthanasia has been made, you and your family may look for ways to celebrate the time you have shared with your pet. Gestures of remembrance provide comfort by honoring your pet’s life and the contribution he or she made to your lives. Below are some ways to remember and show appreciation for your beloved companion:
- Obtain a clay paw print of your pet’s paw
At your request, Gift of Goodbye will take an impression of your pet’s paw in clay, free of charge, at your home after your pet has passed on. The clay print will be left with you at that time, along with baking instructions.
- Post a memorial on the Gift of Goodbye Pet Memorials
If you would like a memorial posted for your companion, please email what you would like posted, as well as 1 or 2 pictures to email@example.com. If you have difficulty writing a paragraph or two or would like help scanning your photos, call us at (575) 312-0679 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to help you.
- Have a memorial service or candle-lighting ceremony where family members can gather to share memories
- Plant a tree, bush or flowers in your yard in your pet’s honor
- Gather pictures of your pet and put in a scrapbook
- Keep your pet’s collar, leash, toy or blanket in a special place
- Write a poem or story about your pet
- Start a journal recording your memories and feelings
- Contribute time or money to a shelter, rescue group or other animal care organization